1 reply to this topic

#1 InChristAlways

InChristAlways

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

What was the purpose of putting blood on the thumb of the right hand and great toe of the right foot in Exodus 29? I looked for something similar and found in Judges where the thumbs and big toes were cut off.
I found a commentary on this site and it appears it had to do with "fighting" and "walking". Any views? Thanks.

http://www.kingdombi...priest/RP19.htm

"And thou shalt take the other ram; and Aaron and his sons shall put their hands upon the head of the ram. Then shalt thou kill the ram, and take of his blood, and put it upon the tip of the right ear of Aaron, and upon the tip of the right ear of his sons, and upon the thumb of their right hand, and upon the great toe of their right foot, and sprinkle the blood upon the altar round about. And thou shalt take of the blood that is upon the altar, and of the anointing oil, and sprinkle it upon Aaron, and upon his garments, and upon his sons, and upon the garments of his sons with him: and he shall be hallowed, and his garments, and his sons, and his sons' garments with him" (Ex. 29:19 21).

Adonibezek fled; but they pursued him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his big toes. Adonibezek said, Seventy kings with their thumbs and big toes cut off had to gather their food under my table. As I have done, so God has repaid me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died. And the men of Judah fought against Jerusalem, and took it, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and set the city on fire" (Judges 1:1-8, Amplified).

.....................How strange! Why would they sever the thumbs and big toes of conquered kings? Because it was a sign of conquest. You see, in those days the king often led his soldiers into battle. They fought with swords, spears, and with bows and arrows. The ultimate shame and punishment for a mighty warrior was for his thumbs and big toes to be cut off, for while his life and being was preserved, by this one simple procedure he was forever disfitted for fighting. He could serve as a slave, but never again could he proudly lead his army in battle because the severing of his thumbs incapacitated his hand from using the bow, or the spear, or the sword; and the absence of the big toes rendered his gait uncertain; he was unable to run in battle. What a great man this Adonibezek had been! What desolation he had made among his neighbors: he had wholly subdued and debilitated the hands and feet of seventy kings, yet now himself a prisoner and reduced to the extremity of meanness and disgrace.

In the act of consecration of the priesthood, by anointing these particular members with blood we have a picture which is the reverse. Instead of being incapacitated by amputation, these priests were to have each member QUICKENED BY CONSECRATION. The ear was anointed to be sensitive to the voice of the Spirit and to hear the cries of humanity. The thumb was anointed that it might do the bidding of God, fight the good fight of faith, and touch and minister to creation's need. The big toe was anointed that it might walk in the ways of God and WALK OUT the mind, nature, character, glory and power of God upon the earth. Oh, how God's priests need to have their walk anointed!.......................................

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

Pi

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,928 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

Quick suggestion: everything the priest listened to, everything he did, and everywhere he walked had to be holy to the Lord. He was consecrated to a very special role, representing God to the people and vice versa, so of all men could not afford to get involved with anything else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users