His final point is worth quoting in full:
1. Everyone is born an atheist, you have to learn to be religious.
2. The [United States] Founding Fathers were all deists.
3. The Bible is worthless or bulls*** or just a bunch of lies or some similar out-of-hand dismissal.
4. Religion is just a way of controlling people.
5. Religion poisons everything.
The comments are also worth reading, if only to see Gnu thinking in all its glory.
That was, of course, the subtitle to Christopher Hitchens’ book God is Not Great, but it is another absurd oversimplification. I had another atheist repeat that exact phrase to me a few weeks ago and I asked him to please explain how religion poisons, or even diminishes, the genius of Johann Sebastian Bach’s many compositions with a Christian theme (he wrote secular music as well, of course, but they are surely not “less poisoned” somehow than his religious works). Or how religion poisons Michelangelo’s painting of the Sistine Chapel. He had no answer, nor is there any coherent one.