• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

Ed Brayton, the driving force behind Freethought Blogs has compiled a list of cliches he wishes atheists would avoid. (These complement a list of cliches which a Christian blogger argued believers should refrain from using.) Brayton has certainly hit the nail on the head with points 1, 3 and 5:

1. Everyone is born an atheist, you have to learn to be religious.

2. The [United States] Founding Fathers were all deists.

3. The Bible is worthless or bulls*** or just a bunch of lies or some similar out-of-hand dismissal.

4. Religion is just a way of controlling people.

5. Religion poisons everything.

His final point is worth quoting in full:

That was, of course, the subtitle to Christopher Hitchens’ book God is Not Great, but it is another absurd oversimplification. I had another atheist repeat that exact phrase to me a few weeks ago and I asked him to please explain how religion poisons, or even diminishes, the genius of Johann Sebastian Bach’s many compositions with a Christian theme (he wrote secular music as well, of course, but they are surely not “less poisoned” somehow than his religious works). Or how religion poisons Michelangelo’s painting of the Sistine Chapel. He had no answer, nor is there any coherent one.

The comments are also worth reading, if only to see Gnu thinking in all its glory. :popcorn:
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

#2 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

:D

#3 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen #1. Human beings are born agnostics. Atheism and religion are both learned.
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users